Dear Friends, This post includes the current affairs on 7th August 2104. I hope You like this and share it on your time line.
Day To Day Current Affairs - 7th August 2014
1. 18th BASIC Ministerial Meeting begin from today
i. Environment Ministers of BASIC countries will meet in New Delhi to discuss important issues relating to current United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations. ii. The 18th BASIC Ministerial Meeting will be held on August 7-8, 2014 at New Delhi.
Note: i. The 17th BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change was held in Hanzghou, China in October last year. ii. India hosted the 14th BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate Change on in February 2013 at Chennai which was attended by representatives from Brazil, South Africa, India and China.
2. Norms tightened for asset reconstruction companies i. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has tightened norms for asset reconstruction companies to improve discipline and bring about transparency in the sale and purchase of bad loans. ii. Now, asset reconstruction companies (ARCs) will have to pay upfront 15 per cent of the bid value of non-performing loans, against five per cent earlier. iii. Also, those planning to buy bad loans will get more time (at least two weeks) to carry out due diligence before bidding for stressed assets. So far, banks have enjoyed complete discretion in deciding the time frame for due diligence. iv. RBI said ARCs would get up to six months to plan recoveries from the non-performing assets acquired. Currently, ARCs get about a year for this.
3. Mizoram Governor Kamla Beniwal removed i. Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India removed Kamla Beniwal the Governor of Mizoram on 6 August 2014. She was removed two months before her tenure was supposed to end. ii. The President directed that Beniwal shall cease to hold the office and gave additional charge of the office to Vinod Kumar Duggal, Governor of Manipur. iii. Duggal will discharge the functions of the Governor of Mizoram in addition to his own duties, until some regular arrangement for the office of Governor of Mizoram is made.
4. Aditya Vardhan Agarwal, new Vice-President of Indian Chamber of Commerce i. Aditya Vardhan Agarwal, Director, Emami Group, has been nominated and appointed as the Vice-President of the Indian Chamber of Commerce. ii. He is the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Ethiopia in Kolkata. Earlier, he served as an Executive Committee Member of Assocham and as a Director of the West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation.
5. Union Cabinet approved the Juvenile Justice Bill, 2014 to amend the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 i. The Union cabinet on 6 August 2014 approved the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 to amend the Juvenile Justice (JJ) Act, 2000. The Union government plans to introduce the bill in the Monsoon session of Parliament.
Age of a Juvenile in the JJ Bill, 2014
i. The bill will treat minors above the age of 16 as adults, who are accused of heinous crimes like rape and murder. The JJ Act, 2000 treats any person below the age of 18 as juvenile.
ii. The bill empowered the Juvenile Justice Board to decide whether a minor would be tried in a regular court or sent to a correctional centre.
iii. The bill provides that if a minor is sent to regular court, he would not be sentenced to life or death if found guilty. Currently, the maximum punishment under the Juvenile Justice Act is three years confinement at correctional homes.
6. Arijit Basu is new MD & CEO of SBI Life Insurance i. Arijit Basu has taken over as Managing Director and CEO of SBI Life Insurance, from Atanu Sen, who retired on July 31, 2014, said the company in a release issued on Wednesday. ii. A graduate in Economics and MA in History, Basu started his career with State Bank of India in 1983 as a Probationary Officer. iii. He has over three decades of experience in the banking sector.
7. Padho Pardesh scheme for minority community i. Minority Affairs Minister Najma Heptullah has said the government has launched a scheme titled, Padho Pardesh, for providing interest subsidy on educational loans for overseas studies for students belonging to the notified minority communities like Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Parsis. ii. She said the objective of the scheme is to award interest subsidy to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections of the notified minority communities so as to provide opportunities for higher education abroad and enhance their employability. iii. The Minister said under the scheme, 100 per cent interest subsidy will be provided on the interest payable on the education loan availed for the period of moratorium, which includes the course period plus one year or six months after getting the job, whichever is earlier.
8. Vladimir Putin signed decree baning imports of agricultural products from West i. Russian President Vladimir Putin on 6 August 2014 signed a decree that bans imports of agricultural products from all countries that have imposed sanctions on Russia over the crisis in Ukraine. Major sanctions were made by the US and EU. ii. Putin by targeting the western food exports aims to ensure the safety of Russia and this move threatens to upset trade worth tens of billions of dollars. iii. Ban on the food imports, should continue for up to one year. The decree that immediately came into force asked the government to draw up a detailed list of products that would be banned.
Background The Western Nations like the US and European Union (EU) has imposed several sanctions on Russia after alleging that Russia is supporting the rebels of Ukraine. They imposed asset freezes and loan bans on a score of individuals and companies.
9. 8 injured in blast at NTPC plant i. Eight persons, including two engineers, sustained burn injuries in a blast on Wednesday evening in a pipeline at one of the units of an NTPC plant in Korba district of Chhattisgarh, police said. ii. The incident occurred at around 9 P.M. at Unit No.7 of the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) plant when labourers and engineers were at work there, a senior police official told reporters.
10. Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, CMD of Bandhan won ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ award i. Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, CMD of Bandhan, has received the ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ award from the All India Management Association (AIMA). ii. Among the other awardees of the year were M G George Muthoot, Chairman, Muthoot Group (Emerging Business Leader of the Year), N Chandrasekaren, CEO & Managing Director, TCS (Indian MNC of the Year), Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Film Producer, Director of Bhaag, Milkha Bhaag (Director of the Year) and S. S. Badrinath, Founder and Chairman, Emeritus of Sankara Nethralaya (Outstanding Institution Builder).
11. SEBI gets powers to clamp down on fraudulent deposit schemes i. The Securities Laws (amendment) Bill, 2014, which was approved unanimously by the Lok Sabha on Wednesday, allows SEBI to issue disgorgement orders. ii. SEBI, in its little over two decades of existence, has issued disgorgement orders only on two occasions; once, in 2006, during the IPO irregularities issue, and for the second time in the Satyam Computer scandal. iii. The money collected will now be parked in SEBI’s Investor Protection and Education Fund. iv. This fund should not be confused with the Investor Education and Protection Fund that has been set up under the company law, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley clarified during a parliamentary discussion on the Bill. v. “They are two separate funds. The IEPF under SEBI will have disgorged monies from the regulator’s directions. The other investor protection fund maintained under the company law is mainly unclaimed dividends,” Jaitley said.
That's it for now Friends. Please take time to share this post also on you time lime as well. I always welcome updates, Suggestions and Modifications. Keep following me for regular updates.
Search My Name as " Gandhi Raveendra Reddy " in Facebook and Google , Add me as your friend and Keep Following me for Regular Updates on Bank Job Preparation.