Dear Friends, This post includes the current affairs on 1st August 2104. I hope You like this and share it on your time line.
1st August 2014 - Day To Day Current Affairs by Gandhi Raveendra Reddy
1. S. S. Mundra takes charge as RBI deputy governor
i. Reserve Bank of India's new deputy governor S S Mundra has been given charge of banking supervision, currency management, financial stability and rural credit. The government on Thursday notified his appointment for a period of three years. ii. Prior to taking charge Mundra was chairman of Bank of Baroda, the country's second large bank. He had begun his career as a probationary officer in Bank of Baroda in March 1977. iii. During a banking career he held various positions including heading the bank's European operations (UK) before being elevated as Executive Director of Union Bank of India in September 2010 and further as Chairman of Bank of Baroda in January 2013. iv. The position of deputy governor had fallen vacant in March after former deputy governor KC Chakrabarty put in his papers three months before his term ended.
2. CWG 2014: Vikas Gowda wins India's first athletics medal in Glasgow
i. Vikas Gowda gave India its first athletics gold medal of the 20th Commonwealth Games by winning the men's discuss throw event on Friday. ii. The 31-year-old US-based Indian pocketed the gold with an effort of 63.64m, way below his personal best effort of 66.28m, under incessant rain at the Hampden Park. iii. The silver went to Apostolos Parellis of Cyprus who threw the discuss to 63.32m, while the bronze was bagged by Jason Morgan of Jamaica with an effort of 62.34m. iv. Gowda, who won a silver in the 2010 Delhi Games, registered his best effort in his third attempt, which proved to be enough for him to ran away with the yellow metal.
3. One Life is Not Enough written by Natwar Singh released i. One Life is Not Enough: An Autobiography written by Kunwar Natwar Singh was published on 1 August 2014. The book is an autobiography of the former External Affairs Minister and senior Congress Party leader Natwar Singh. ii. This autobiography has been in news and debate since past few days because it reveals much information about Sonia Gandhi, the President of the Congress Party. The book has been published by Rupa. iii. In the autobiography, Natwar Singh has shared his experiences on several events in the political corridors of Delhi. He has also described his early years as a diplomat, his proximity to former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi, but more pertinently, say sources, to events post-Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination in 1991. 4. CWG: Pinki Rani bags first medal in Boxing
i. Pinki Rani in the 48 to 51 kg category bagged a bronze. She lost in the semi final to Michaela Walsh from Northern Ireland making her eligible for a bronze medal. ii. This is the first medal from boxing. 4 other Indian pugilists will also be seen in semi final action tonight. The pugilists are Vijender Singh in 75 kg, Devendro Laishram in 49 kg, Manpreet Jangra in 69 kg, Laishram Devi in the 57 to 60 kg. iii. In Badminton, 5 Indian shuttlers PV Sindhu, P. Kashyap, Srikanth K., RMV Gurusaidutt and PC Thulasi will play for semi-final berths today. The duo of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will also play in the quarterfinals of Women's Doubles.
5. Sardar Singh suspended after second offence
i. In a huge jolt to Indian men hockey team’s chances in the Commonwealth Games, captain Sardar Singh has been suspended for the semi-final match against New Zealand on Saturday following his second dangerous offence of the tournament. ii. Sardar, who has already been reprimanded for dangerous play against an Australian player, received a yellow card in Thursday’s pool A match against South Africa — which India won 5-2 — and the jury originally slapped him a two-match suspension as it was his second offence of the tournament. iii. After an appeal by the Indian team management, the appeal jury reduced the suspension to one match.
6. Indo-Russia pact planned for new BrahMos missile version i. Supersonic cruise missile manufacturer BrahMos Aerospace on Friday said it is hopeful that a pact to develop a sleeker and faster 'mini' version of the missile will be signed during Russian President Vladimir Putin's visit to India in December this year. ii. The new BrahMos CEO said he was expecting that the missile would be inducted into the services by 2017 and "there would be a huge market for the new missile in India, Russia and friendly foreign countries". iii. The Su-30MKI is undergoing modification so as to carry the strike weapon in its belly in partnership with the HAL. The Indo-Russian joint venture firm was set up in 1998.
7. Lucknow-New Delhi double-decker train soon i. A double-decker train will run between the state capital and New Delhi from September this year after trial runs are held in August, an official said Friday. ii. The railways safety commissioner has given his green signal for the running of the train. The Research Design and Standards Organization (RDSO) has also already given a safety and speed certificate for the train, an official said.
8. CWG 2014: Indian wrestler Babita Kumari wins gold in 55kg freestyle
i. Indian wrestler Babita Kumari put on a stunning show to win the gold medal beating Canada's Brittanee Laverdure in the final of the women's 55kg freestyle category in the 2014 Commonwealth Games at the SECC Hall on Thursday. ii. The 24-year-old Babita, who had bagged silver in 2010 Commonwealth Games, won 9-2 against the 32-year-old Brittanee, who ended up injuring her finger during the bout. iii. It was the fourth gold medal for India in wrestling.
That's it for now Friends. Please take time to share this post also on you time lime as well. I always welcome updates, Suggestions and Modifications. Keep following me for regular updates.
Search My Name as " Gandhi Raveendra Reddy " in Facebook and Google , Add me as your friend and Keep Following me for Regular Updates on Bank Job Preparation.