1. World Hepatitis Day being observed today i.e.) 28th July
i. World Hepatitis Day is being observed today all over the world to generate mass awareness about the deadly disease. ii. The theme of this year's World Hepatitis Day is 'It's closer than you think.' With about one million people worldwide dying due to hepatitis. iii. India has over 40 million Hepatitis B infected patients, second only to China, and most people are infected with chronic Hepatitis B or C. iv. Every year, nearly 6 lakh patients die from Hepatitis B Viral infection in India.
2. RBI, Monetary Authority of Hong Kong ink MoU for info exchange i. The Reserve Bank of India has inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Monetary Authority of Hong Kong for exchange of supervisory information. ii. The RBI signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for supervisory cooperation and exchange of supervisory information with the Monetary Authority, Hong Kong," RBI said in a notification. iii. The MoU with Monetary Authority, Hong Kong, was signed by Arthur Yuen, Deputy Chief Executive, Banking, the Monetary Authority, Hong Kong and Harun R Khan, Deputy Governor, RBI. iv. The signing ceremony was held at the Monetary Authority office in Hong Kong. v. With this, RBI has signed MoUs with 21 supervisors for supervisory co-operation.
3. RBI allows NBFCs to use e-KYC service to verify identity i. Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) have been allowed to accept e-KYC service as a valid process to verify identity and address proof of customers to reduce risk of fraud and forgery. ii. "In order to reduce the risk of identity fraud, document forgery and have paperless KYC verification, UIDAI has launched its e-KYC service. iii. "Accordingly, it has been decided to accept e-KYC service as a valid process for KYC verification under Prevention of Money Laundering (PML) (Maintenance of Records)," the RBI said in notification addressed to NBFCs Monday.
4. RBI cancels licenses of six Delhi-based NBFCs i. "The Reserve Bank of India has cancelled the certificate of registration of the following non-banking financial companies (NBFCs): 1. GE Strategic Investments India, 2. Profound Exports, 3. Two Brothers Holding, 4. Swank Services Private Ltd, 5. Praxis Consulting and 6. Information Services and Credible Microfinance Ltd." RBI said in a notification. ii. However, the RBI did not provide any reasons for the cancellation of certificate of registration. The licenses of these companies were cancelled on various dates in April, May and June 2014.
5. Jitu Rai wins Gold in 50m Pistol event in CWG; Gurpal Singh bags Silver i. Shooting brings two early medals on 5th day of Glasgow Commonwealth Games. In the 50m Pistol event, Jitu rai have secured Gold whereas his compatriot Gurpal Singh won the silver. ii. Jitu Rai had entered the finals by creating Games Record and he also created the games final record. In the finals he shot 194.1 points for the medal. Gurpal Singh on the other hand claimed silver with 187.2 points. iii. In Latest medal tally India has risen to fourth position overtaking Canada. India now has 7 Gold --10 Silver--and 7 Bronze.
6. PM launches portal to contribute in governance
i. Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched a web platform – MyGov.nic.in. The platform has been created to facilitate Citizen Engagement in Good Governance. ii. MyGov will enable the citizens especially the youth to volunteer for specific tasks and projects at grass roots level. It will allow the common people to reach the government with ideas and suggestions. iii. The platform – MyGov will be implemented and managed by National Informatics Centre (NIC), Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY).
7. International conference on women entrepreneurship in October i. An international conference on women entrepreneurship would be held here starting October 18. ii. The three-day meeting, christened Women's International Summit on Entrepreneurship (WISE), was being organised to commemorate decennial celebrations of the Confederation of Women Entrepreneurs (COWE), it's president P Soudhamini said here on Monday. iii. About 1,500 women entrepreneurs from many countries are expected to participate in the event. It would also have an international trade show.
8. Gujarat tops in power sector investments: Study Reveals
i. A recent study report prepared by Assocham’s Economic Research Bureau has showed that Gujarat topped in new investments attracted by the power sector during the period 2004-05 and 2012-13. ii. The study titled: ‘State-wise analysis of power sector: Consumption, demand & investment’ showed that during the period, Gujarat attracted 17 per cent or Rs. 5.3 lakh crore worth of investments out of the total new investments worth over Rs. 31.3 lakh crore by power sector (public and private sources) across India. iii. During 2012-13, out of the total new investments worth over Rs. 1,560 crore by the power industry in Gujarat, private sector accounted for 56 per cent. iv. The report also noted that Gujarat has registered significant improvement in power situation, as the percentage of non-starter projects has reduced from almost half as of 2004-05 to about 29 per cent as of 2012-13.
9. Amitabh Bachchan named as Maharashtra's horticulture ambassador
i. Amitabh Bachchan, the Indian Megastar was appointed as the horticulture ambassador of Maharashtra. With this appointment, he will start promoting the horticulture sector in Maharashtra. ii. Maharashtra, the western Indian state is India's largest fruit producing state with around two million hectares area covered in fruit orchards. iii. The 71-year-old actor is also the face of Gujarat tourism as well as the polio eradication campaign.
10. Australia approves Adani's $15.5 bn Carmichael coal project i. The Australian government has approved billionaire Gautam Adani promoted Adani Goup's proposed $16.5 billion (US $ 15.5 billion) Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail project subject to set of environmental conditions. Minister of Environment, government of Australia, Greg Hunt on Monday approved the project which is touted to be one of the world's biggest coal mines. ii. The Rs 50,000-crore Adani Group through its Australian subsidiary Adani Mining Pty Ltd in mid 2010 had proposed to develop a 60 million tonne per annum (Mtpa) thermal coal mine in the north Galilee Basin in Central Queensland. iii. All coal will be railed via a privately owned rail line and shipped through coal terminal facilities at the Port of Abbot Point and/or the Port of Hay Point (Dudgeon Point expansion). iv. The Carmichael Coal Mine spread over area of approximately 44,700 hectares and 189 km rail project will have an operating life of approximately 90 years.
11. CWG judo event: Rajwinder wins bronze in women's +78kg i. India's Rajwinder Kaur bagged a bronze in women's +78kg judo competition to add to the three medals the country won in the sport at the 20th Commonwealth Games on Saturday. ii. Rajwinder defeated Esther Akinyi Ratugi of Kenya in the bronze medal match on penalty points to give cheers to the Indian camp. iii. With today's bronze, the medal count for India from judo has risen to four, with three -- two silver and one bronze -- having won on Thursday. iv. The Indian judokas has already created history by winning the highest number of medals in any Commonwealth Games.
12. Cycling: Italy’s Vincenzo Nibali wins 101st edition of Tour de France
i. Italian Vincenzo Nibali won the 101st edition of the Tour de France in cycling as he finished the final stage on the Champs Elysees in Paris safely in the peloton. ii. Nibali is the sixth man to win all three Grand Tours, the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana. iii. Nibali is the first Italian winner of the race since Marco Pantani in 1998. Germany's Marcel Kittel won yesterday's traditional final stage sprint finish.
13. Bharti Airtel crosses 300 million customers milestone
i. India’s largest telecom firm Bharti Airtel on Monday said it has crossed 300 million customers mark across its mobile, fixed line, DSL and DTH services. ii. Bharti Airtel, which began operations in 1995, reached the 100 million customers mark in 2009 and crossed the 200 million mark in 2012. iii. “The latest 100 million customers have joined the Airtel family in less than two years. The company ranks as the fourth largest mobile service provider globally and second largest globally outside of China,” Airtel said in a statement. iv. Bharti Airtel has operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa.
Note: i. Bharti Airtel is the largest telecom company in India by customers as well as revenue and was the first in the country to launch 4G services in 2012. ii. In Africa, Bharti Airtel is the largest mobile operator in the continent in terms of geographical footprint, which spans 17 countries with over 70 million customers.