Dear Friends, This post includes the current affairs on 14th August 2104. I hope You like this and share it on your time line.
Day To Day Current Affairs - 14th August 2014
1. PAK celebrates its 68th Independence Day. i. Celebrating the 68th Independence of Pakistan, Google has posted a doodle on the Pakistan homepage. The doodle features the blooming flower-shaped Pakistan Monument in Islamabad, Pakistan. ii. As Pakistan celebrated its Independence Day on Thursday, fear of violence loomed large with the capital turned into a fortress ahead of two massive anti-government rallies, demanding resignation of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and fresh elections. iii. The two groups, led by cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan and Canada-based cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, plan to converge on Islamabad to press Sharif to call an early election little over a year after his landslide victory in the polls.
2. Himachal Pradesh selected to host First Para-gliding World Cup in India i. Paragliding World Cup Association selected Himachal Pradesh as a venue to host the 2015 para-gliding World Cup. This will be the first para-gliding World Cup to be hosted in India. The tournament will be organised under the aegis of Para-gliding World Cup Association, France. ii. The information was disclosed by Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma, who is also Chairman of the Billing Paragliding Association on 13 August 2014. iii. The World Cup will be hosted in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh from 24 October 2015 and will see around 150 top ranked pilots of the world besides 500 free flying pilots as participants. iv. Himachal got the chance to organise and host the world cup event by the Paragliding World Cup Association after successfully hosting the para-gliding pre-World Cup in 2013.
3. Inflation at 5-month low of 5.19 per cent in July i. Inflation dipped to a five month low of 5.19 per cent in July mainly on account of decline in prices of some food articles, vegetables and protein rich items. It was at 5.43 per cent last month and 5.84 per cent in July 2013. ii. Inflation in the overall food articles basket, which account for 14 per cent of the total Wholesale Price Index (WPI), stood at 8.43 per cent. It was at 8.14 per cent in June. iii. Inflation in vegetables declined 1.27 per cent, and for onion it was (—)8.13 per cent on an annual basis in July, as per the WPI data released on Thursday. iv. However, potato prices shot up 46.41 per cent and fruits 31.71 per cent during the month. Rate of price rise in milk was at 10.46 per cent. v. The BSE Sensex extended gains for the fourth straight session on Thursday soaring by 184 points to reclaim the 26,000-mark after two weeks as inflation dropped to five-month low level and foreign capital inflows rose.
4. Roger Federer advances with milestone Masters match win i. Roger Federer became the first man to win 300 matches at the ATP Masters 1000 level, beating Vasek Pospisil 7-6 (7/4), 5-7, 6-2 on Wednesday in Cincinnati. ii. The victory in just over two hours put the 33-year-old world number three into the third round of his final tune-up tournament for the US Open. iii. The Swiss great, who had notched his 200th Masters match win against Lleyton Hewitt at Cincinnati five years ago, arrived at the tournament he has won five times off a runner-up finish to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Toronto.
5. Real Madrid won UEFA Super Cup in Cardiff i. European champions and Spanish giant Real Madrid football club on 13 August 2014 lifted the UEFA Football Super Cup, the first European trophy of the season. To lift the trophy, Real Madrid defeated Sevilla football club, 2-0 in Cardiff, Wales. With this win, Madrid has 14 major European trophies. ii. Both the goals were scored by Cristiano Ronaldo. First goal was scored on the half-hour mark, whereas the second goal was made after half-time.
UEFA Super Cup The UEFA Super Cup is an annual football match that is played between the reigning champions of the two main European club competitions, the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.
6. Life sentence to Sher Singh Rana for killing Phoolan Devi i. A Delhi court on Thursday pronounced life sentence to lone convict Sher Singh Rana for the murder of bandit-turned-politician Phoolan Devi in 2001. The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on Rana. ii. Rana, 35, had been convicted under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 34 (common intention) of the IPC for murdering Phoolan at her residence here on July 25, 2001. iii. The prosecution had sought death penalty for Rana, calling him a threat to society.
7. Asian Games torch unified with Incheon flame i. The Asian Games torch was unified with the Incheon flame in a colourful ceremony amidst huge fanfare at the Incheon Culture and Arts Centre in Incheon on Thursday. ii. The torch relay started on Saturday from the National Stadium in Delhi, the first venue of the Games, and arrived in Incheon on Wednesday morning after covering 5700 km. iii. The flame was received by Mijito Vinto, third secretary, Embassy of India, in the presence of Ambassador Vishnu Prakash at the Incheon Culture and Arts Centre. Hundreds of persons including a large number of Korean dignitaries were present at the occasion.
8. Modi to announce ambitious ‘financial inclusion mission’ on Independence Day i. India would be celebrating the 68th Independence Day on 15th August 2014. ii. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to unveil an ambitious financial inclusion scheme on Independence Day tomorrow to provide bank accounts to 15 crore poor persons with an overdraft facility of Rs 5,000 and accident insurance of Rs 1 lakh. iii. The-two phase "financial inclusion mission", which has been approved by the Cabinet, will be formally launched by Modi here at the end of this month, sources said.
That's it for now Friends. Please take time to share this post also on you time lime as well. I always welcome updates, Suggestions and Modifications. Keep following me for regular updates.
Search My Name as " Gandhi Raveendra Reddy " in Facebook and Google , Add me as your friend and Keep Following me for Regular Updates on Bank Job Preparation.